I hope everyone is doing great. Today, I am sharing with you guys the recipe of a Pakistani dessert which I was really afraid of trying. Zarda aka Meethay Chawal. My dad loves this traditional dish and so does my husband but I was always reluctant to make it. Then, I took help from my Husband’s aunt and she gave me such an easy recipe that someone like me can cook zarda like a pro now :D.
So, let’s go straight to the recipe.
How to make Zarda
For making Zarda, you will need following ingredients:
- Saila Rice (soaked in water for at least 4 hours) : 2 cups
- Sugar : 2 cups
- Milk : 1/2 cup
- Ghee : 1/4 cup
- Green Cardamom : 5 pieces
- Dry fruits of your choice (e.g. almonds, coconut, raisins) : as much as you like
- Yellow food color : a pinch
- Salt : 1/2 teaspoon
- Water : to boil rice
- Add salt and food color in water and let it boil. Add saila rice and boil them.
- Strain the rice and keep them aside.
- In a wok, melt ghee and add green cardamoms. Saute for a few minutes.
- Now add sugar and 1/4 cup water. Mix well and keep stirring.
- When sugar melts, add boiled rice. Let them cook on medium to high flame.
- Add all dry fruits.
- When water is almost dried, add milk and keep it on dum for good 20 minutes.
- It is best to use saila rice for making zarda, as they are easy to handle.
- You can add green cardamom in the water while boiling rice to add extra flavor.
- Adding milk makes the zarda rice soft. If you find your rice hard, increase the quantity of milk.
Friends, do try this recipe and tell me in the comments if you like it.
For more recipes, reviews and hauls you can follow me on Instagram.