Here comes my very first blog about one of the best recipes I found out. Beef Karahi , being Hubs favourite dish so I HAD to master it 😉. So this is actually a blend of all the recipes of Karahi , I’ve ever come across. Enjoy!
Beef : ½ kg
Tomatoes : ½ kg
Onion (thinly sliced) : 1 (small)
Ginger garlic paste : 1 tablespoon
Red chilli powder : 1 teaspoon
Salt : according to your taste
Turmeric powder : 1 teaspoon
Black pepper powder : ½ teaspoon
Fenugreek leaves (Qasoori methi ) : 2 tablespoon
Butter : 2 tablespoon
Green chillies (finely chopped) : 3 – 4
Ginger (Julian cut) : 1 inch piece
Oil : 1 cup
Coal for smoke
For Karahi Masala :
Whole Red chillies : 4 – 5
Coriander : 1 teaspoon
White cumin seeds : 1 teaspoon
Ajwaain : 1 teaspoon
Dry roast all ingredients for Karahi masala in a non – stick pan and roughly grind it. Keep this masala aside.
1. Boil beef in water with black pepper and salt until it is 80 % done.
2. In a woke, heat oil and fry onion ( yeah I know there are NO onions in a Karahi but that’s how I make it. You can skip this step.) till golden brown.
3. Add the boiled beef and ginger garlic paste. Sauté well for 3 – 5 minutes.
4. Now add tomatoes , salt and red chilli powder and cover the lid till tomatoes are cooked.
5. Add the prepared Karahi masala ( keep 1 teaspoon of Karahi masala aside, for garnishing) and bhoonofy it well till oil separates.
6. Now sprinkle green chillies, ginger, fenugreek leaves and add butter. Turn off the flame, give coal smoke and cover the lid for 10 minutes.
7. Dish out , sprinkle the remaining Karahi masala and serve hot with Naan and Raita.
- You can adjust the spices according to your taste. Karahi made with this recipe is more towards spicy side.
- You can make mutton or even chicken karahi with the same recipe. Only the boiling step would be skipped while making chicken Karahi.
- You can decrease the quantity of tomatoes and instead add yogurt. This is what I do when I am running short of tomatoes ☺.
- Don’t over cook the meat while boiling.
- You can use the prepared masala for any other dish you like, for example Dum ka qeema, aaloo ki bhujia, etc.
I hope you will like it. Do let me know how do you make Karahi 😊.